Pages

Saturday 2 February 2013

Patchwork Bag...

I've been interested in making bags for quite a while now. And it has been that interest and desire that has led me back into the wonderful world of sewing. Sparking new comprehension in things like warp and weft - concepts that I couldn't be bothered to try and understand as a youngster!
A couple of years ago I came across one of the best bloggers around (I think so anyway!) during a search for a bag pattern. Sooz has some fantastic information and ideas in her blog about all sorts of things. And BAGS are one of those things.Unfortunately the tutorial I once followed is no longer there, but the bag I have recently completed is a derivative of her original pattern for a reversible beach bag.
I decided to make it 'patchwork style' so I could up-cycle garments of clothing and use up scrapes of interesting fabric...



For this bag I've used an old skirt (red & brown flowers), some curtain off-cuts (cream fabric) and some red satin. I then used a creamy-fawn coloured satin for the bag lining...





I've made a few different bags since my bag mission began including a nappy bag which I use everyday without fail. My only real obstacles so far have been the lack of a) an industrial sewing machine to sew handles on and b) a walker foot - in some situations with certain fabrics).
I've found bags relatively easy to make while also being very rewarding and useful...

No comments:

Post a Comment