Pages

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Orange Marmalade...

I don't have much time to read the paper. However every week my living room floor seems to inherit a copy of Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald and so, on Sunday I like to sit quietly and read  the Spectrum. It was in this publication that I found Frank Camorra's recipe for Mildura Orange Marmalade. Gasping Softly to myself at the anticipated simplicity of the job - the recipe was quickly torn from its page and adhered to a conspicuous place on the fridge door.
Another thing I've recently inherited is a lemon tree that is bursting with big juicy lemons. So all I really needed for the job of Marmalade making was a couple of oranges and some sugar. EASY! The Oranges I sourced from a small orchard in Dural, NSW and I decided to continue to go with the ethically-locally-sourced-flow and use some organic raw sugar.
This is what I did:
The first stage was to cut and soak the fruit overnight.


 (Having now made a couple of marmalade batches, I would like to mention here, that it's better to add plenty of water rather than just enough - otherwise you end up with too much rind and not enough 'jam'.)


The next day I boiled the fruit to soften the skin - this took at least 20 minutes.
I made a few adjustments to the initial recipe at this stage, like measuring the pulp - quite important I believe. Basically you will need to add one cup of sugar to every cup of pulp. I also added 30 mls VSOP Cognac for a bit of extra bite... (next time I may try Cointreau)...
Then I boiled briskly for about 45 mins and didn't forget to skim off the scum!


The thing I love most about this recipe is the amount it makes... Three oranges and just three lemons becomes seven good sized jars of delicious Marmalade!

No comments:

Post a Comment