Pages

Monday 23 January 2012

Plum Jam... And Fruit-Aholics

My sister from New Zealand recently brought our mutual four-year-old nephew over for a holiday to see us, most importantly his cousin - Son. So we had two lovely boys playing ever so nicely for a few days (choke choke - no not the boys). Every morning I like to restock my fruit bowl, it's a plate really, bringing fruit from the fridge so it's there on the bench - easy access for hungry mouths. One particular morning the two four-year-olds polished off most of it in just one sitting. My sister looked on in horror and disbelief as the ample supply was ravaged and rampaged by the hungry but cute little beasts. "I'd ration it" was her answer to this 'problem' of quickly disappearing food. But you can't really I feel, as it's all good healthy food and is part of a balanced diet - you should see what else they can eat. I'm used to this sort of thing so I wasn't at all surprised when the two kilos of plums I bought at the market became this...

I had meant to make the jam much earlier and had given Son a bit of a hard time when I caught him eating them. (I'd put the plum bowl in a high cupboard and stuff like that -petty, I know.) So when they started getting soft I thought that I had really best get on to the jam making even though there was such a small amount left. Jam making is a great way to recycle your old jars and that's what I did last year but since the amount was so small I thought I'd make two little ramekins to put straight in the fridge - give one away and keep the other. I'm not sure how long it will keep in the fridge but as nothing lasts long in this house I don't think we're in much danger of it going off. I'll keep you updated. So after a little while those plums became this...

Who said Jam making was tricky? Don't be scared. Here's the recipe:

6 plums halved and stoned
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon Cognac

1)Put plums and water into a heavy based pot. Boil until soft and pulpy.
2)Add sugar slowly and stir until dissolved. Add Cognac.
3)Boil rapidly for 15 mins*, skimming off any scum as it appears.
4)Your jam should be ready to pour into a hot sterilised jar or straight into a ramekin!

*For jam to set it needs to reach a temperature of 105 degrees. Ripeness of fruit, size of pan and boiling speed are all factors in determining this. As Plums are rich in pectin and acid - they naturally have a good setting quality.

And a serving suggestion...
Wholemeal Cranberry & Raisin Scone served with a big dollop of Plum Jam... A great way to start the day.




Linking up with Jodie The Haby Goddess


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for playing along :)
    I have such a soft spot for jam & scones though I've never made jam. This page is now bookmarked for when the times come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plum jam is my hubby's favourite, but I've never dared to try and make it myself. Yours looks lovely - I'll definitly have to bookmark your recipe, and give it a try someday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I make strawberry jam when the fruit is in season, but have never tried to make plum jam! Homemade jam is so much nicer than bought jam! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right! Once you've made your own you can never go back to bought... Thanks for all your comments and good luck with the jam making.

    ReplyDelete