Pages

Monday 21 May 2012

Red Grape Jelly



It's red globe grape season once more. Luckily this has coincided with a request for: 'more grape jelly please.' The reason that globe grapes are desirable when it comes to jelly making is because of the pips. Apparently this makes them deliciously flavoursome, which in turn makes a mouth watering jelly...


Red Globes


Now I made Grape Jelly last year and did encounter a few problems. The first batch didn't set - it was more like a coulis. So I made a second batch and completely overcompensated and ended up with toffee. Yum you may say, yet toffee in a jar is not much fun and I think I had to throw it out. That's when I bought a sugar thermometer and I've never looked back. It makes things quick(ish) and easy. There are none of those ambiguous jam-setting tests like: just put some on a plate - put that in the freezer and wait for five minutes (mean while the toffee thickens) - then run your finger through and if it ripples then it's ready (my coulis, I had thought, passed that one). You just lower the thermometer into the bubbling mix and when it's 105 degrees you know it'll be spot-on. This takes around 15 minutes of rapid boiling.

The recipe I've been using is from here and I'm proud to say that recently I turned my kilo of grapes into...





And we opened it at breakfast the very next morning...





As you can see the consistency is just right. And the taste is delectable!







Linking up with...














2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Looks delicious. Thanks for the hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love jelly's but have never made my own. Wow it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete